• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

New to cruising; New here

Jonika27

Hello!!!
My hubby and I will be going on our first cruise in March. Seven nights to the Bahamas out of Baltimore. On the Carnival Pride. I am CLUELESS!!! I will be going with four other couples that have cruised before.

Does anyone have any do's or don'ts they can share with me?
:confused::confused: I am not real keen on going on many (or any) excursions - I hear they are a rip off. My hubby does want to see Atlantis - I just want to go to the beautiful beaches! Okay - MAYBE do some shopping.

What about sneaking alcohol in? We are weekend boaters and do like t
o tip a few ;)

Tipping - do we pay more than the automatic tip?

Are soda cards a bargain?

I will take any advise or suggestions!!!

Thanks!!
:D

By the way - to Greg - I did download a few fun things like the check list and sample menus....those were VERY helpful. Thank you!

Definitely be selective with your excursions. I would not consider them a rip off, but don't just go on one to go on it. Do something if you would really like to do it. There are plenty of things to see and do in almost every port that do not involve going on an excursion. At the same time keep in mind that you don't always have the option to go on these excursions in foreign countries. Some excursions aren't cheap but you've already spent a lot of money getting to this foreign port in the first place and the additional money (probably small in comparison to your overall vacation expenses) for the excursion may be well worth it. If you give us your itinerary (ports you will be visiting), we can probably give you more feedback specific to those ports.

Ahh, the smuggling of alcohol. A lot of people do it and a lot of people get caught. Since this is always a hot topic I added some information about smuggling on the bottom of this page: https://www.cruisingearth.com/info/carnival/alcohol/"]Cruising Earth - Carnival Cruise Lines - Alcohol Information & Prices

Tipping additional is completely up to you as you know. I would say most people tip just the standard automatic tips. Those that tip over will usually do it in person to people like the cabin steward at the end of the cruise. As a first time cruiser don't worry yourself too much with this beforehand. Just keep in mind the information provided under "Tipping" here: https://www.cruisingearth.com/info/carnival/"]Cruising Earth - Carnival Cruise Lines - Information & Tips. Then once on board if you believe someone has gone over and above what is to be expected you can give them something extra if you choose.

Soda cards are a bargain for heavy soda drinkers. As an adult you would need to drink an average of 3+ sodas a day to save money with a soda card. As an alcohol drinker like yourself I don't find myself drinking too many soda throughout the cruise. One day I may have a couple the next day none, but overall it personally isn't worth it to me. On a 7 day cruise you would need to drink over 21 sodas to make it worth your money for the soda card, keep in mind on 2 or 3 of the days you will probably be in port most of the day and not even on the ship.

Thanks, Greg!

Do something if you would really like to do it. There are plenty of things to see and do in almost every port that do not involve going on an excursion.

Being our first cruise - I think hubby and I just want to sit back, relax, and see what this cruising thing has to offer. bottom line - we want to have FUN! Yet, we both like to explore.

we are stopping at Freeport and Nassau - Just one day each, any suggestions? i guess we want to see a "conch show" somewhere?n Is conch really that good?

If you give us your itinerary (ports you will be visiting), we can probably give you more feedback specific to those ports.

We are leaving out of Baltimore - stopping at Port Canaveral, Freeport and Nassau in the Bahamas.

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker