• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

Photocopy of birth certificate?

E Wahl

Hi all, Carnival’s website says that a clear and legible photocopy is acceptable as a travel document. However, all the travel websites say you need the original birth certificate (or a replacement from the state). We are sailing out of Port Canaveral. Will they accept a photocopy, or does my husband need to drive to Michigan for his birth certificate? Thank you!

Assuming you are talking about a Domestic Cruise (beginning and ending in a US Port) and he is a US citizen.

If you are going the birth certificate route you will need both:
1) Birth certificate issued by government agency (typically the city, county or state) which will have an official stamp or seal on it. Either the original or an "official" photocopy which means it has the government agency stamp or seal on it. Hospital provided documentation will not work.
2) A Government-issued photo identification.

Alternatives (any one of these, all will require birth certificate to apply):
1) Passport: $145 takes about 2-3 months to get currently, if expedited (+$60) and should arrive in 5-7 weeks
2) Passport Card: $65 (call for the latest time to process and arrive, it's typically shorter than a passport)
3) A state issued Enhanced Driver's License (acts as a combined driver's license and passport card): currently issued only in the states of Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Washington, and Vermont. It could take as little as a few weeks to get but you'll need to check with your specific state about processing times

Greg is right. If you are doing a U.S. "Closed-Loop" cruise you would need a Birth Certificate that is either original or has a Government stamp/Embossed certification on it. I would recommend regardless, if you have the time to get a Passport. If anything happens in an overseas country and you have to stay behind, a passport will make getting home MUCH easier!!.

Assuming you are talking about a Domestic Cruise (beginning and ending in a US Port) and he is a US citizen.

If you are going the birth certificate route you will need both:
1) Birth certificate issued by government agency (typically the city, county or state) which will have an official stamp or seal on it. Either the original or an "official" photocopy which means it has the government agency stamp or seal on it. Hospital provided documentation will not work.
2) A Government-issued photo identification.

Alternatives (any one of these, all will require birth certificate to apply):
1) Passport: $145 takes about 2-3 months to get currently, if expedited (+$60) and should arrive in 5-7 weeks
2) Passport Card: $65 (call for the latest time to process and arrive, it's typically shorter than a passport)
3) A state issued Enhanced Driver's License (acts as a combined driver's license and passport card): currently issued only in the states of Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Washington, and Vermont. It could take as little as a few weeks to get but you'll need to check with your specific state about processing times
Just an FYI you may be able to order a birth certificate by mail. I live in Kalamazoo, Michigan and needed a copy as well. I found that I could.request it by mail here. I live here so I just went down in person to get t.

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker