• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

Request New Ship Selection For Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how you can give me access to the webcams for the Carnival Sunshine cruise ship but you are unable to show the current position on the map. this ship is scheduled into Cozumel at 1000CDT tomorrow (Monday) yet the last position you show is many hours ago east of Miami. If it is still on time surely it must be somewhere close to the north-west coast of Cuba by now. I am used to tracking airline flights when my family travels and that is always quite accurate and timely. Please can you let me know if there is a problem with this website or the ship. Thank you.

This should explain it: https://www.cruisingearth.com/forum/f485/why-cant-track-ship-know-its-sailing-2293/

Regal Princess

I am not getting any cruise lines in the drop down menu. Please add Regal Princess to tracker....Thank you

redrobin

Please restore Carnival Sunshine to your tracking. for a couple of days you had it pretty much spot on but now it seems to have vanished. Thanks.

Please restore Carnival Sunshine to your tracking. for a couple of days you had it pretty much spot on but now it seems to have vanished. Thanks.

Ships can only be tracked when AIS data (tracking data) is received from them. If a ship is more than approximately 80-100 miles offshore the land based AIS receiving stations which we receive the tracking data from will not have any new data on the ship. If the data we have gets more than one hour old the ship will no longer be shown on our "Mapping Option A" you can then switch to "Mapping Option B" which typically shows the last position of the ship prior to it going "Out Of Range".

As you asked previously about webcams. Carnival's webcams are relayed by satellite and don't suffer from the limitations the land based AIS tracking does. They are completely different systems.

redrobin

I have just found your reply to why LIVE tracking not always possible. Came across it by fluke. I am an old fogey (really OLD) and I find this website quite confusing at times. Apart from your VHF explanation etc. the Carnival Sunshine was supposedly just in Costa Maya for a few hours which I believe is LAND so definitely within the 100 mile range you were talking about. I could not find any evidence that could tell me that it was in fact in Costa Maya. According to it's schedule it should have left by now. Maybe by the time it is going close to Cozumel a position might be possible??? Who knows?? Thanks.

Just saw your response regarding webcams. Thanks but that raises the question .. If they can send the webcam via satellite why can they not send their position via satellite? Seems simple enough to this old codger!!!!!!

Just saw your response regarding webcams. Thanks but that raises the question .. If they can send the webcam via satellite why can they not send their position via satellite? Seems simple enough to this old codger!!!!!!

Definitely sounds simple enough, but unfortunately it isn't.

The cruise lines own their own webcam feed which is basically an internet service from the ship that passes through a satellite, not cheap but not that expensive either.

On the other hand AIS data that goes through a satellite goes through proprietary equipment installed on a satellite or through an AIS specific satellite itself. This data is owned by the satellite company and to get it is very expensive still since it is new technology that converts land based VHF data into satellite data. You can read all about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Identification_System#Satellite-based_AIS_.28S-AIS.29

It's all about the $$$. So, yes satellite data tracking is available but the data is very expensive to get, especially if you are trying to track hundreds of ships like we do here. The land based AIS data is free. That is why any ship tracking you do online that you are not paying hundreds of dollars for will all be based off land based AIS data which all comes from a single source.

I have just found your reply to why LIVE tracking not always possible. Came across it by fluke. I am an old fogey (really OLD) and I find this website quite confusing at times. Apart from your VHF explanation etc. the Carnival Sunshine was supposedly just in Costa Maya for a few hours which I believe is LAND so definitely within the 100 mile range you were talking about. I could not find any evidence that could tell me that it was in fact in Costa Maya. According to it's schedule it should have left by now. Maybe by the time it is going close to Cozumel a position might be possible??? Who knows?? Thanks.

The 100 mile range is a big ship (tall antenna, 100+ feet off the water) on a good day with a strong transmitter. In general you should expect something less than 100 mile range. Carnival Sunshine although recently refurbished is still an 18 year old vessel and it's transmitter is likely not new. That being said it's transmission distance is likely less than 100 miles and could be significantly less. Like you said if it was in port, it would definitely fall in the "Within Range" category. If I was to guess by looking at recent past data received from the ship I would say the VHF equipment onboard the Carnival Sunshine is currently having some issues.

Hi GREG .. Thank you so much for answering all my questions ( I have finally figured out how to find them as well ). I had to go out for a few hours, hence the delay in this reply. I have read all your responses ( AND that link to AIS ). I can see your predicament and I really appreciate ALL your responses and patience with this old codger. I do not travel very much these days (health) but I always follow my family on their adventures. Following the airlines (many websites) is fascinating and they are so accurate ( you can even listen to the ground/air communications at most airports ). Shipping has a while to go but I am sure they will catch up with websites like yours. Keep up the good work. Hope my bugging didn't get you too exasperated. Cheers!!

Hi Greg .. further to my last message I meant to tell you I have bookmarked that AIS link you gave me. REALLY interesting article. I hope I am still around when they get S-AIS going for all shipping ... Thanks again ... Cheers ..

Hi Greg .. further to my last message I meant to tell you I have bookmarked that AIS link you gave me. REALLY interesting article. I hope I am still around when they get S-AIS going for all shipping ... Thanks again ... Cheers ..

Not a problem to answer your questions. Many people have the same ones but just don't take the time (or have the time) to ask, so I'm sure your questions will help a lot of people for some time to come.

Yes, when the S-AIS becomes the standard for all shipping the data will more than likely be very cheap or freely available like satellite information is currently for aviation. Hopefully, even before then there should be more options in who you can get S-AIS data through and the prices for it should drop significantly with the competition.

Until then we are unfortunately stuck with the land based AIS system with all it's current limitations. It is kind of crazy to think that the current land based AIS standard for shipping tracking throughout the World is only about 25 years old, at the same time the technology it uses is quite old. The shipping industry is definitely far behind where the aviation industry currently is in tracking standards.

Cheers.

Hi Greg .. Still no joy on Carnival Sunshine since shortly after it left Roatan (Mahogany Bay). It is probably now somewhere north of Cuba and likely will start picking up reports this evening as it comes around Key West/Miami area on it's way to dock Saturday Morning. I did have a message from my family last night (via Satellite no doubt ) and they seem to be having a fantastic trip. They will then transfer for an airline trip back here to the "frozen north" (Winnipeg). Not so frozen these days as today on way to above 30C. Bright and sunny right now after a fierce thunderstorm couple of hours back. This has been a very interesting and educational dialogue (NEVER too old to learn) and I really appreciate your responses. This is a wonderful (though sometimes sad ) world we live in .. so much to enjoy. Will check in next cruise any of my family embark on .. might just drop in once in a while to see what's going on!!!! Again THANKS and adios amigo .. Cheerio

Hi Greg .. Still no joy on Carnival Sunshine since shortly after it left Roatan (Mahogany Bay)...

Using "Mapping Option B" I see it is now tracking just South of Key West. It appears it didn't get picked up until about 40km off of Key West which does have an AIS reporting station. Looking at the tracking history including reported port stops, there is a very good chance there is an issue with Carnival Sunshine's onboard AIS reporting equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker