• Guest Register
    If you are reading this it means you have not yet registered. Please take a second to REGISTER (it's FREE). You will then be able to enjoy all the features of Cruising Earth.

New to Cruising

My wife and i are going on our first cruise in April. We have found a lot of good info on line. And just talking to friends and family that have cruised before.

I have found  a lot of good information on this thread!

http://boards.************.com/showthread.php?t=2465018

Hope this helps! Happy Cruisen!

Hello, I am Ed, I am new to Cruising Earth, started just a few years ago and just went on my 5th cruise. I knew as soon as I walked onto my first cruise ship I was going to be hooked. So far I have not been on a bad cruise. I told a few people sounded like a oxymoron, bad cruise, the words don't go together for me. I have seen on the news though where some cruise ships have run into some problems and I would not ever want to be on a cruise ship when the weather or seas are very bad. I will post or answer any questions I get as soon as I see them and look forward to reading more posts.

I didn't know what to expect on my first cruise so everything was an adventure, new and very exciting for me. I would explore the ship while still in dock and try to figure out a daily plan so you don't miss all that is offered. There will be a daily ship bulletin left on your bed every night and a bulletin will be in your room when you first get on board. The bulletin is a great place to plan each day or next day. I would also talk to a lot of people and ask them what they liked or didn't like on their past cruises and see if you can get any recommendations for ship events, excursions, sightseeing etc and what to avoid. I try to do a little sightseeing and beach time. 8 hours in port may sound like a lot of time but it goes quickly, waiting for buses to depart to excursion destinations and getting back to the ship. Ask others where they are going and try to find out what sounds like fun or something new to see. I enjoyed the nightly shows, walking around on deck and finishing up the night at a piano bar. I don't know if I have just been very lucky but the food at all the venues has been very good. On the NCL Breakaway I have had some spectacular meals at Cagney's, Ocean Blue, Tepanyaki, La Cucina. Royal also has some great specialty dining as does Carnival. I have been on NCL Breakaway Twice now, Royal's Explorer of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas, Carnival Paradise. Again, not sure if I am just lucky but the entertainment was very good on all three cruise lines, the comics were funny and I really enjoy the late night buffet for coffee and a light snack. There is something amazing and so relaxing being out in the middle of the ocean. The very first cruise on Royal and last 2 cruises on Norwegian Breakaway have been the 3 best, nothing wrong about Carnival. Sailing down Manhattan Harbor at sunset and going past the Statue of Liberty is spectacular. Take pictures and video. Almost every picture is frame-able. The sail-away parties on deck are fun and going under the Verazano Narrows Bridge is very cool. So to summarize my suggestions for your first cruise: Explore the ship and note what you want to see and do on it, what times the shows are, MAKE RESERVATIONS if needed as soon as you get on the boat if you already haven't. Go to some specialty dining restaurants. Go on some excursions, like snorkeling and sightseeing. Relax and take it all in. If you are going by yourselves talk to people at nearby tables or I like being seated with strangers and meeting new people and hearing everybody's stories of their daily adventures in port that day. I hope your 1st cruise is as great as mine was.

Back
Ad Blocker Detected - Please Allow Ads On Our Site

It looks like you may be utilizing ad blocking software or another ad filtering technology while visiting Cruising Earth. Certain areas of this site may not work properly because of this, particularly live updates of ship trackers and webcams.

We work hard to strike a balance between content and ads and as a free site we greatly appreciate your support in permitting ads to render. Ads help us cover our server and maintenance costs, which helps us continue to keep this site free to use. You also don't want to miss out on any specials or discounts posted from the Cruise & Travel Industry! For the best site experience please disable your ad blockers for cruisingearth.com, then click the button below. Thank you.

I've Disabled My AdBlocker