Carnival Corporation is currently made up of 9 cruise lines: Carnival Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, P&O Cruises United Kingdom, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, AIDA Cruises, Cunard and Seabourn. Carnival Corporation has announced they will be reducing their overall fleet size by 15 ships. This reduction in ships across the fleet will include the older, less efficient and lower profit margin vessels. This downsizing will reduce Carnival Corporation's fleet capacity by 9% overall. They have also announced layoffs of over 1,000 shore employees, a 20% pay cut for most remaining employees, a 25% pay cut for senior officers, and a 50% reduction in annual compensation for the CEO, Arnold W. Donald.
The ships that are being removed from the fleet will see a range of fates. The lucky ships will be sold to other cruise lines and continue to lead a long happy life of cruising in the near future. The unlucky ships will be sadly sold for scrap.
Previously Scheduled For Removal From Fleet
4 of the 15 ships were already announced that they would be removed from the Carnival Corporation Fleet over a year ago (unrelated to COVID-19) but their removal has been moved up and will affect already booked cruises on these ships.
1. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/po-cruises-(au)/pacific-dawn/']P&O Pacific Dawn - was scheduled to transfer to Cruise & Maritime Voyages in 2021; Cruise & Maritime Voyages now currently shut down; ship fate is unknown but all currently scheduled cruises are cancelled
2. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/po-cruises-(au)/pacific-aria/']P&O Pacific Aria - was scheduled to transfer to Cruise & Maritime Voyages in 2021; Cruise & Maritime Voyages now currently shut down; ship fate unknown but all currently scheduled cruises are cancelled
3. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/costa-cruises/costa-atlantica/']Costa Atlantica - unknown fate at this time
4. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/costa-cruises/costa-mediterranea/']Costa Mediterreana - unknown fate at this time
Carnival Cruise Lines - Fleet Reduction and Rotation
Carnival is scheduled to now sell two ships, the Carnival Fantasy and the Carnival Inspiration. It is also moving the Carnival Fascination and the Carnival Imagination to long-term layup status, meaning these ships will not be operated or scheduled for cruises in the near future.
5. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/carnival-cruise-lines/carnival-fantasy/']Carnival Fantasy - sold for scrap; to be dismantled at Aliaga, Turkey shipyard
6. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/carnival-cruise-lines/carnival-fantasy/']Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap; to be dismantled at Aliaga, Turkey shipyard
As two ships are being removed from the fleet and two more are being layed-up long term, Carnival has begun to shift ships around. These shifts will result in shifting itineraries and homeports for much of the Carnival Cruise Line's fleet.
- The Carnival Fascination itineraries leaving from San Juan and Barbados have been canceled for 2020 through 2021. San Juan will not be the homeport for any Carnival ship for now.
- The Carnival Imagination itineraries from Long Beach have been canceled through April 19, 2021.
- Carnival Sunrise will move to Port Miami from Port Everglades to assume Carnival Sensation's previously scheduled itineraries. Guests booked to sail on the Sunrise's four- and five-day itineraries will be automatically moved to sail from its new embarkation point in Port Miami.
- Carnival Sensation will move to Mobile, Alabama, from Miami and will take on Carnival Fascination and Carnival Fantasy's previously scheduled itineraries. Guests scheduled to sail on those two ships are being accommodated on the Sensation.
- Carnival Panorama will continue its seven-day itineraries from Long Beach, California, and Carnival Miracle will move to operate itineraries from San Diego to Baja Mexico.
- Carnival Radiance will move to Long Beach after its renovation is complete and is expected to arrive in April 2021 to begin Baja Mexico itineraries that had been run by Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration previously.
- Guests booked on Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration after April 22, 2021, will sail on Carnival Radiance.
- Carnival's newest ship the Mardi Gras, originally scheduled to begin sailing this year, will begin operations in 2021 due to a delay in delivery caused by COVID-19 pandemic.
Holland America Line - Fleet Reduction
Holland America Line is removing 4 ships which will reduce its' fleet to 10 total ships.
7. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/holland-america-line/ms-amsterdam/']Amsterdam - sold to Fred. Olsen Cruises and will be renamed Bolette
8. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/holland-america-line/ms-maasdam/']Maasdam - being sold, sale not final
9. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/holland-america-line/ms-rotterdam/']Rotterdam - sold to Fred. Olsen Cruises and will be renamed Borealis
10. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/holland-america-line/ms-veendam/']Veendam - being sold, sale not final
As the four ships are removed from service numerous cancellations and rescheduled are occurring.
- The 2021 Grand World Voyage meant to take place on the Amsterdam will be postponed until 2022 and will sail on the Zaandam.
- The Grand Africa Voyage that was meant to depart on Oct. 10, 2021, on the Rotterdam will sail on the same dates but on the Zaandam.
- Canada/New England and Grand Voyages on the Amsterdam.
- Mexico, South Pacific, Australia and Asia sailings on the Maasdam.
- Caribbean, Europe, Panama Canal, Hawaii and South America itineraries on the Rotterdam.
- Europe and Caribbean journeys on the Veendam.
P&O UK - Fleet Reduction
11. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/po-cruises-(uk)/oceana/']Oceana - sold, buyer not currently named
Costa Cruises - Fleet Reduction
12. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/costa-cruises/costa-victoria/']Costa Victoria - sold for scrap
13. https://www.cruisingearth.com/ship-tracker/costa-cruises/costa-neoromantica/']Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises
14. Unknown Ship (TBA) - unknown fate
15. Unknown Ship (TBA) - unknown fate
Be sure to follow this thread to see updates when they are available.
Carnival Corporation has been one of the first major entities in the cruising industry to announce significant downsizing. Over the next few weeks and months it should be expected that other major organizations within the industry will likely make similar announcements.
To end on a positive note Carnival Cruise Line still plans to bring on 2 new ships to the fleet over the next two years. The first new ship, Mardi Gras, is expected to enter the Carnival Cruise Line fleet in February 2021 out of Port Canaveral with the first at-sea roller coaster called "Bolt". A second new ship, yet unnamed and a sister to Mardi Gras, will enter the Carnival Cruise Line fleet in the Fall of 2022 in time to celebrate Carnival's 50 years of sailing! The unnamed vessel is scheduled to arrive in Port Miami in November 2022 with similar features to Mardi Gras.
Carnival Corporation is also pre-selling cruises for 2021 at deeply discounted prices, for those interested in picking up a great deal while it lasts.